Whether you're just starting out or have an operational business, there are many free online tools available to guide on your entrepreneurial journey. The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Futurpreneur Canada, TD Bank and Canada Business Network websites have webinars, articles, templates and more designed to educate, inform and inspire entrepreneurs. Also, check out our podcast series, Entrepreneurial Recon, guest hosted by program alumni and Veteran entrepreneurs.
The online tools below are great places to start. The next step is connecting in-person (or over the phone) with local resources in your community. Start building your entrepreneurial support network today!
1. Exploring entrepreneurship: Is it right for me? Can I start small?
- Questionnaire: Is entrepreneurship right for me?
- Blog: Is it the right time to start a business?
- Blog: Starting a business on 10 hours a week? Yes! Military spouses, it can be done!
- Blog: Shifting mindsets from part-time hobby to full-time commitment
- Blog: 5 Things veterans should know when considering entrepreneurship
- Podcast: Getting comfortable asking for help.
2. Do I have a good idea?
- Video: Do I have a good idea?
- Video: Validating your idea with the Idea Napkin
- Validating your idea with the Business Model Canvas (more advanced)
- Video: Business Model Canvas tutorial
- Business Model Canvas interactive tool
3. Creating a new business
- BDC: Should I start or buy a business?
- BDC: What do I need to do before starting a business?
- BDC: What are the steps involved in buying a business?
- Canadian Franchise Association: Veteran Discount Program
4. Planning for your business
- BDC: Help with business strategy and planning
- BDC: Entrepreneur's Toolkit
- BDC: Business Plan Template
- Futurpreneur: Business Plan Writer
- BDC: Glossary of business terms
- BDC: Conducting market research
- BDC: Defining my target market
- BDC: Tips on money and finance
- BDC: About financing
- Canada Business: About financing
- TD Bank: About financing
- BDC: Free guide - How to get a business loan
- BDC: Developing a sales strategy
- Podcast: Closing the sale
- Podcast: Getting comfortable charging what you're worth
- BDC: Creating a successful marketing strategy
- BDC: Marketing Plan Template
- Video: Getting your first customer
- Podcast: What I learned in customer service
8. Money matters
- BDC: Managing your finances
- Futurpreneur: Cash flow template
- Futurpreneur: Sales Forecasting
- Canada Business: Bookkeeping and accounting
- BDC: Dealing with bankers and other lenders
- Canada Revenue Agency: Get free tax help for your small business
- BDC: Operations overview
- BDC: Reducing Costs
- BDC: Managing relationships with supplier
- Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson
- The One Thing by Gary Keller
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The Secrets of Savvy Networking by Susan RoAne
- Start With Why by Simon Sinek
- Who Are my Clients? by Antoine B. Carrière
- L'après inc. (French) by Cynthia-Ann Sheehan, Marie-Josée Drapeau, Annik De Celles, and Josée Blondin